Sunday, August 3, 2008

Start of a new school year!

Boy- I don't know how you public school moms do it- having the kids home all summer long! lol- I'm going nuts- and ready to start school...keep in mind- we only took July off! But it's time to start back up again tomorrow. The kids seem to have too much time on their hands- and they begin causing trouble. So tomorrow is the first day of School for Dean's Academy. My big homeschool order just arrived from Rainbow Resource.

Here's what we will be using for School

For Bug- 4th grade
*For the bulk of our studies Beyond FIAR and other unit studies on Egypt, the Olympics, and Elections
*Language Arts-
-Startwrite using the cursive font for copywork
-Daily Grams,
-Dictation (more on Dictation on Heather's blog it's awesome!), and
-Explode the Code- I think we're starting on level 4 1/2. It seems strange to me to be starting Bug on a phonics program- which is basically what etc is. As he is an awesome reader- reading books like Harry Potter, and Chronicles of Narnia, but spelling seems to really be a weak point, and I've decided it might be due to my haphazard approach to phonics when he was younger. (I didn't use a phonics program- just sort of threw stuff together until he was reading well)
*Math- Singapore Math
*Cub Scout Belt loops and Pins- assinged as they go along with our units using Worksheets from this site


Doodle's School plans- Kindergarten/1st grade
-Five in a row- unit studies- along with one on the Olympics, and a few interest driven studies.
-Rod and Staff Math- while I love Singapore Math- this seems like it will be a better fit with Doodle.
-Phonics- Starfall- AWESOME phonics game site, Explode the Code I think we're starting with level 1 1/2. I'd planned on starting with 3, then I found 1 1/2 and 2 at the thrift store for .50 a piece, and decided they were a better fit.
-Startwrite for copywork

Roo's plans- Preschool
While I don't do too much formally with Roo- lots of games, puzzles and just reading- I do try and include him in our school time. We'll use http://www.letteroftheweek.com/ for some alphabet ideas, Before FIAR, and I just got some Rod and Staff Preschool workbooks for when he's wanting to sit at the table and do "school" like the big kids.

2 comments:

momof3feistykids said...

It looks like a terrific plan! Thanks for reminding me about the letter of the week site. I bet Trishy would like that.

J and Ris said...

Andrea, Hope it's ok that I found your blog! It's been forever since I've talked to you or heard about your fam! Come check us out at www.jmpugmire.blogspot.com. Hope all is great with you! Marisa