Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Guest Blogger today- Bug!

me and dad

Me and dad decided to go on a backpacking trip 20 miles in 3 days. So we went up to the cabin and got our stuff ready and early Monday morning we headed off.
We stopped to get gas and went in to see how much bear pepper spray was. but it was too much so I got some candy and we left.(bear pepper spray is a kind of spray that you spray in the bears eyes it blinds them).so we went to west Yellowstone and went to the super market we bought our food (ramen noodles)and they didn't have any so we had one more errand to run. We went to find flies to fish with. While we were there we saw pepper spray and bought it . I got a pocket knife. We headed out and got our license to get in. We went to Old Faithful and got our back country permit and got a map. When we got to the place we hiked in and watched Lone Star Geyser and hiked on. But one half a mile away from our camp site around the corner comes a GRIZZLY BEAR! Right in front of me. dad was freaked out and I was too. He totally forgot about the pepper spray. The bear walked right by us on the trail. We headed in to our camp site and tied our stuff up.and tried to make a fire. The fire would not start so we went fishing.( when all hope is lost catch some dinner) then we went on a hike there were bear tracks everywhere! but yet again a half a mile away from our camp site a Buffalo was there we hiked around him and went on. Some hikers were freaked out one guy had his bear pepper spray out the whole time, because he was a chicken.( pakpakpakak) We found a spring and hiked some more. When we got back, we ate our dinner and hit the sack. but in the morning it was freezing cold but we made our breakfast and headed out to find the lake. we found it and decided to go home but we played around and fished and hiked and hiked out. we had stayed 2 days and hiked 30 miles. here are some pictures.
a movie of Lone Star Geyser

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a fun two days! I would have enjoyed seeing the Buffalo (one of my favorite animals..) but I think I might have been hiding if a grizzle crossed my path!

Kendra Au who doesn't have bears here, but use to see black bears when she lived in TN.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you and your dad had a great time!!! The bear would have been awesome to see as well as the Buffalo!

I have heard that Yellowstone is spectacular and your pictures prove it.

Sue S (RI)

Alana - The Mommy said...

Wow Bug! That was great! Sounds like you guys had a wonderful adventure. I bet that you will never forget coming so close to a Grizzly Bear!

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a great trip with your dad!

Becky said...

Great post Bug, it sounds like an exciting trip. I am really glad I wasn't there. I only like seeing bears in yellowstone from my CAR!

Anonymous said...

Wow ... now THAT was an adventure. We only have black bears here. I'd be pretty scared if I saw a grizzly. :-) Great post!

Erika said...

What a great time. Micah you look like you were having a blast!

Kimberly said...

Hikers, buffalo, and bears OH MY!!!
It sounds like quite a great adventure.

Rachel said...

Good job bug with the story. It sounded like a great time with your dad, but I bet your mom missed you!

J and Ris said...

What a good blogger! You are your dad are much too brave for me! I don't know if I could have handled sleeping knowing a bear was that close to me!