Saturday, July 26, 2008

Our Pioneer Day Trek- part 1

We had a Great Pioneer day on Thursday! (For those not in Utah- it's a state Holiday that celebrates when Brigham Young and the first Mormon pioneers first arrived in Utah) Ben, the kids and I went on a backpacking trip! It was a lot of fun. We went to Tony's Grove, then backpacked in to White Pines Lake. It was a beautiful hike, and the boys all did great! It was about a 4 mile hike in. Then we spent the night at the lake, fished, swam and had fun. Then we hiked back out Friday morning. (hey- 1 night without "facilities" was enough for me!)
We weighed the packs before we left home- Doodle made it maybe a mile with his little 12 pound pack, and I got to pack it the rest of the way. Roo did better with his little pack (just his small sleeping bag) and Bug did awesome with his pack- it was about 25 pounds, and he made it the whole way! Ben got to carry all the rest of the stuff- 50 pounds worth!
Along the trail- the wildflowers were beautiful- pictures just can't do them justice!
Stopping for a water break
YUM! Ramen Noodles never tasted so delicous as they did that night!

Oh no! the Camera Battery died- more pictures to come tomorrow!

As we hiked I thought about the Mormon Pioneers, and how they left their homes in the East, left behind their comfortable beds, many of their prized posessions all to come here to Utah to settle. They treked for over 1,000 miles lost loved ones along the way. They suffered pain, hunger, hardship and many trials along the way. They sacrificed it all to come to a place where they would have the freedom to worship the Lord without persecution. I am so grateful for my forefathers who crossed the sea, and came west in Handcarts. I'm grateful for the example they set for me and my family. The gospel is so important to me. I hope I would have willingly gone through those same trials to be able to worship the Lord in peace. I love the valley we live in. The ward and neighborhood we live in are simply wonderful. I couldn't ask for a better place to raise my family.

2 comments:

Becky said...

What a great idea to go on a "pioneer trek" for the 24th. We have never done a backpack trip. I think the girls would give up after 5 steps and want someone to carry their packs. Colby would do okay. I think the kids would appreciate a little more the walking the pioneers had if they had to carry a pack.
I also agree with you, I love our neighborhood, ward, and this is the best place to raise a family.

Erika said...

How fun. There is nothing better than being out in the wilderness. I love the beautiful creations from our Heavenly Father. It is a great place to raise a family.