Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Unit Writing Contest & School

A wonderful website I go to often for help with homeschooling called Homeschool share is having a Back to School blast- a contest for people to write units for their site. I've written a few units in past years, and I'm working on another unit for this year's contest- nope not telling you what book I'm writing a unit on- but it's a chapter book, and I'm so excited. I've got some great ideas I've been kicking around. Check out their site- there's lots of great unit studies to do with your kids, printables to go with Five in a Row books, and so much more!




School started up again yesterday after our spring break. Bug and I are jumping into the Childhood of Famous Americans book on Thomas Edison, (a unit from Beyond FIAR) Yesterday we learned about the Erie Canal, and how it was build. Also he's working on a map of the Great Lakes region. Today we'll be discussing eggs and incubation (JUST in time ;) As we put 51 pheasant eggs into our incubator yesterday. Also we'll be taling about Scientific Method, and for Writing- and assignment on making good word choices.

Doodle and I are reading The Little Rabbit (a B4FIAR title) Timely since he just got pet rabbits. Yesterday we talked about Responsibility, and how the girl in the story took care of her rabbits. Today we'll be discussing problem solving, and how she solved the problem of having too many rabbits. Also she names the baby bunnies after the days of the week. We'll work on the Days of the Week, and talk about Calendars. We also had lots of fun on starfall.com yesterday and read Zac the Rat (an easy one- but a fun book)

And Roo, not to be left out- is reading books with the letter I this week. Yesterday was Inch by Inch by Leo Lionni. We talked about inches, and let him measure things around the house with a ruler. Today we'll read Me too Iguana, a Sweet Pickles book that I remember from my childhood ;) and talk about trying to be like others.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Sounds like you guys are keeping busy! I sure wish the weather would warm up just a BIT warmer! :)

Rachel said...

oh, and we checked out the rainforest math link from your blog and Kace LOVES it, so thanks! :)

j4crew said...

SOunds like you are back into the swing of things!! What a cool website!!!