Monday, April 21, 2008

Making Yogurt

Last Fall, our Relief Society (church women's group) challenged us to live a month on our food storage. I learned Many things in September- But the first is --- If you have powdered milk in your food storage- make sure it tastes good :p and works for yogurt. EEEW! We tried many differnt brands of dry milk looking for one that we (read I!) could actually stomach. A few to stay away from- Morning Moos- BLA! As Roo says "that's go-gusting!" Honeyville Grain aslo has a whey based milk- double Yuck! (it's now being used as slop for the pigs!) A few that were hits- If you can find it- Country Cream was actually good! The LDS Cannery also has good tasting powdered milk- not as good as Country cream, but cheaper! Powdered milk is great when I keep it mixed up and use it for cooking, but the thing we use it most for is Yogurt! I love yogurt smoothies for breakfast, and this is a simple (and delicious!) way to use that powdered milk.

Step 1- Measure your powdered milk into a thermos jug adding an extra 1/4-1/2 cup.- I use 1/2 gallon ones-
Step 2- if you want your yogurt sweetened- add some sugar (I do about 1/2 cup per 1/2 gallon). You don't have to sweeten it now- but if you are only using it for smoothies or eating- it's better to stir it in now than afterwards.
Step 3- add HOT tap water to your milk and mix WELL, making sure to get the milk out of the corners of the jug.
Step 4- GENTLY stir in Yogurt starter. I just buy the cheapest usually Western Family Vanilla- a small carton. And stir half of it into each thermos.


Step 5- Add Vanilla (totally optional!) But I like a vanilla flavor in my smoothies. Stir gently- as little as possible to mix it around.
Step 6- Screw the lids on tight.
Step 7- Fill a cooler with HOT HOT HOT Tap water.
Step 8- Place thermoses with yogurt in cooler.

Step 9- Set cooler somewhere warm that it won't be disturbed. DON'T touch it, mess with it, check on it, or bother it for 6-8 hours.
Step 10- remove from cooler, and place in refrigerator. It will be ready for smoothies in the morning.



4 comments:

j4crew said...

Sounds interesting! I might actually be brave enough to try it :)

Emily said...

What a good idea! I'm going to try it one of these days! I love yogurt, but it's quite expensive and doesn't make it into my shopping cart very often.

Rachel said...

I am definitely going to try that! Kace and Ty love yogurt!

Becky said...

I have never seen a yogurt recipe. I need to try that, my kids eat through vanilla yogurt like crazy.