Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Cars fixed and Boys Club

We have working vehicles again! Ben spent all night Friday working on putting the Engine back in the metro- and got it working. Then we took the Truck in to the shop, and they got the broken sparkplugs out without removing the engine. Whew! Thank goodness! Thanks again Pam for being so wonderful to loan us your truck while we were working on fixing them.

Today was Bug's Great American's Boys Club. We really have fun with this! Way back last fall, someone in our homeschool group was starting up a Girl's Club. I lamented the fact that there wasn't anything for the Boys. I said if I knew what to do with my younger 2, I would do a club for them. Another mom piped up that she would watch Doodle and Roo if I did the club and her oldest boy could come. So Thus tthe Great American's Boys Club was born. Each month we read a Childhood of Famous American's book about a "great american" (hence the name! lol aren't I original!?!) We discuss the book, play games, do some notebook pages, and do an activity. The meetings are once a month, and we meet for 1 1/2 hours. There are 11 boys that come each month. It's great fun. And the poor boys get to be my guinnea pigs for lots of cub scout ideas. ;)

Anyhow- Today's Club was on Neil Armstrong. We had a good discussion going about the book, and what kind of man Neil Armstrong is. Determined, Hard working, and Brave. Then the boys did notebook pages. The first page has a pic of Neil Armstrong and lines at the bottom where they write Traits they admire. The 2nd page has a place to draw a picture and lines to write their favorite part of the story. The last page is a timeline of his life. (If you want copies of the pages- email me, I'm happy to share!) After that we played a Scout game "Kim's Game" (since Neil Armstrong was an Eagle Scout!) Then we build paper rockets and launched them from Soda Pop Bottle launchers. Here's where I got the ideas. Our launchers were a bit smaller (used last month's marshmallow guns to make the launchers) But overall it was a Success. The boys all had fun I think. Next month will be our final meeting for the year, and we'll meet at the local Pizza place for a pizza party, and each boy will tell or show or somehow present a Great American to the rest of us.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

That is great about the cars. I drove by yesterday (I think it was yesterday, maybe it was monday) and there was the metro in front so I wondered if it was fixed. hip hip hooray!

j4crew said...

So glad you got both cars up and running!! woohoo!!!Sounds like a great boys club that you started :)

Lisa said...

The club sounds like a great idea! I'm sure the boys really enjoy it. Glad to hear the cars are both working again. Phew!

Erika said...

Hey Andrea, I just was reading this post again and I was wondering if you would email me the thing that you did about Neil Armstrong. I would love to see it. You have a great thing with this homeschool. What a fun club!