Thursday, April 10, 2008

School, Art projects and Gardening

School has gone great this week. Yesterday, Bug and I talked about Life along the Erie Canal, and he is writing a story about living along a canal. We also talked about sealant, and how they used pitch to seal the boats. We are doing an experiment with wood and urethane finish to see the differences in the weather.

Doodle has had fun learning about Rabbits. His story The Little Rabbit has photographs in the story rather than illustrations, so he got to use my camera and take some pictures with it of his rabbits and his toys. He thought that was pretty cool. Here's a few of them.
Roo and I read The Legend of the Indian Paintbrush and Inside, Outside Upside Down for I. (and a few other bazillion books- he is my book lovin kid!)

I've added a few things to the mix this time, and we are finding ways to fit the History (which Bug LOVES! - he is a History buff or something- he begs for me to do history with him) and the Art (which I have an awesome program- I just never get around to using) So each day we have an "elective" and do art, history, music, and History again. (Fridays are field trip/library days)

Here is the cool Art Book I have- and some pics of the boys doing art on Wednesday. The Art book is called Discovering Great Artists, in it there are little bios about great artists, something that they were well known for, and an art project that goes along with that artist. This week we studied Gaugin, and used opposite colors. He is known for using colors different than what they should be, grass would be orange instead of green etc.
OOH! I have one more cool picture to share. We raise a rather large garden each year, and it's time to start getting it ready....no we can't plant yet- can't plant much of anythinng before the middle of may or it'll freeze. But Tuesday Ben was working on getting it ready- and the kids all thought they needed to help.



4 comments:

momof3feistykids said...

Your lessons are very inspiring. :-) You have a gentle and interesting approach to learning that I admire. That is a terrific art book -- we've had it for years.

Rachel said...

I know I can't wait to get outside and start the garden and just enjoy being outdoors without freezing my behind off!

Thanks again for letting the boys come over today, they always have a great time at your house (well Kace does, Ty doesn't really tell me much of anything :)

Alana - The Mommy said...

We love Discovering Great Artists. I need to see if Kandinsky is one of the artists covered. He is Russian and that goes nicely with ACDB!

Thanks for visiting my blog!

j4crew said...

Aww, love the pic getting the garden ready!!! Pianting looks like FUN too!!!