Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Gearing up for Boy's Club

I'm just finishing up the final plans for this year's Great American's Boy's Club It will be lots of fun. Each month we read a Childhood of Famous American's book, discuss it, do notebook pages and a couple of activites. This year I have 13 boys- including my own Bug and Doodle. I'm looking forward to our activities. Here are the plans-

September-- Milton Hershey, Young Chocolatier by M. M. Eboch, Make Ice cream http://home.att.net/~teaching/science/icecream.pdf and ?? Chocolate Math, Get to know you games

October-- John Glenn, Young Astronaut by Michael Burgan, Make Alka-seltzer rockets http://mpassero.tripod.com/rocket/seltzer/seltzer.htm and Launch rockets


November--Robert E. Lee, Young Confederate by Helen Albee Monsell -- Make Rubber Band Guns- http://www.runnerduck.com/toy_gun.htm Leapfrog or fly kites


Jaunary--Mark Twan, Young Writer by Miriam E. Mason - make Paddle boats out of Altoids canshttp://www.instructables.com/id/Rubber_Band_Powered_Altoids_Boat/ and ??

February--George Washington, Young Leader by Agusta Stevenson ? Suggestions welcome-- I'm having a hard time with ideas for Washington

March-- John F. Kennedy, America’s Youngest President by Post Frisbee --St Patricks Day activities- Green- shamrock craft? ? Sugestions welcome!

April--Jim Thorpe Olympic Champion by Guernsey Van Riper, Jr. --Olympic events: Standing long jump, Discus (Frisbee) throw, Shot Put (softball) throw and Medals Ceremony

May- Celebration of Great Men -- Pizza Party- Eat Pizza and do oral Presentations

I'm disappointed- I'd planned on doing the book on Dr. Suess for one of our books. But after pre-reading it (and I'm glad I did) I decided against it- so we'll just take Dec. off. Why did I decide not to do dr. Suess? For starters- his family owned a brewery at the time of Prohibition- it talked all about how alcohol wasn't bad, and the prohibitionists were crazy. Then as I continued reading- Dr. Suess's wife comitted suicide. And while I feel bad for what he and his wife must have gone through- suicide and alcohol were not topics I wanted to discuss with 7-12 year old boys.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

That sounds fabulous!! I love your creativity and sense of fun.

Becky said...

You are such an amazing Mom and teacher. 13 boys are in for a lot of fun :) Colby loved having you for a scout leader.