Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Nature Notebooks

AAAAHHH! Maybe just Maybe spring could be on it's way! Finally most of the snow is melted- there's still a huge pile on the North side of the house and shed, and a small pile in the back yard where it slid off the roof. I am anxious for spring weather. We spent yesterday afternoon out in the yard working in the flower beds. Yesterday when the mail came- I got this book in the mail- I'd ordered it used on amazon, and I am excited to begin using it!
Sunday afternoon we went for a Sunday Drive out to the Bird Refuge. We enjoy going to the Bird Refuge- they have a great visitor center (which is closed on Sundays- so we didn't go in this time) Here and here are pics from a couple other times we've been there. (Sidenote- I love Sunday Drives! We put the kids in the car- listen to a book on cd and just drive!- Never know where we'll end up- sometimes we have a plan sometimes we just GO. A few weeks ago we ended up way out by the Great Salt Lake in Promontory.) Sunday afternoon we headed out towards the Bird Refuge- as we had heard that the Tundra Swans were here during their migration. There were THOUSANDS of Tundra Swans. We rolled down the windows and listened to them. It was amazing! We tried to get a picture of a few that were closeby. Not a great picture, but oh well.
We also saw some deer, tons of ducks, lots of Canadian Geese, and even a skunk- I've seen plenty of "Dead skunks in the middle of the road" (thanks Dad- for teaching my boys such a wonderful song) But this one was alive and walking around just off the side- Ben told Doodle to get out and chase it- to which he replied "No- then you wouldn't let me back in!" Smart kid!
So yesterday the kids and I started our Nature Notebooks. Warning- I am NOT an artist- I truly can't draw. But I'm willing to give it a shot I guess! Here's my first entry.Here's Roo's first entry- a Killdeer

And Doodle's picture of a Robin. I think he did great!

Bug took off outside with his notebook- and I haven't seen it- I'm sure it's half-ful already. We're going to try and do at least 2-3 entries a week in our notebooks.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love -- LOVE your nature notebooks!

J and Ris said...

I can't get over how amazing you are to homeschool your kiddos! You do so many fun and creative things. I'm very impressed!