Thursday, March 5, 2009

Learning notes for the week-

I LOVE how Miranda over at The Outer Edge of Normal posts learning notes about what her kids are doing for "school" (loosely said) So in an attempt to show myself that yes they are indeed learning something and I'm not just Throwing Marshmallows Here's a post about our week-
Roo- for school this week we read If Jesus Came to My HouseIt is a sweet rhyming story about a boy who imagines what he would do if Jesus came to his house. It talks SO perfectly about the Golden Rule- and about how when we are serving others we are serving God. So we hit on quite a bit in the way of scripture stories.
In the Story- the boy says he would build a palace- so here's Roo building his palace and throne with blocks.

The story mentions that he imagines Jesus would be "about the age that I am, and about the height of me" So Roo used links to measure how tall he is, and made chains to show how old he is, and how old everyone in the family is. Here's how old Doodle is."Mom- you can't be this old- cuz it's as big as I am"
In the story- the boy talks about how sometimes at night he's scared of the shadows. So Roo and I did an experiment with shadows- You have to look close- there are 5 outlines of shadows on the sidewalk. Roo went outside about every hour- and stood in the same spot- and we outlined where his shadow fell.

He had a FUN time with his experiment- and he'd set the timer to know when to go back out. He was thrilled to show his experiment to Dad.

Since the story has pictures drawn in black with just a bit of red for accents- Roo painted a picture with Red and black paint.

Here's Doodle's Week- He really really really wanted to learn about Turtles. Ok- whatever- But there's no FIAR stories about Turtles- so I was scrambing (I can put together units- but I really prefer to stick to what's been done) But we learned about Turtles, and he is making an animal notebook. Here's the first pages in it- All the lapbook compontents are from Homeschool Share The next pages are his copywork sentences- I just LOVE Startwrite for handwriting- I pick a sentence from the books we are reading- type it in to the startwrite program and select the font- I use HWT (Handwriting without tears font) it's simple, no frills, and what we used when first learning how to write all the letters. Then I print the page, and it's ready for Doodle- he copies the sentence (we're working on using capital letters and periods where they belong- throwing in a little grammar as well). The funnest part is when we are reading the story- he LOVES to listen for his sentence.

Overall I think the Turtles week went well. Next week Doodle wants to learn about Alligators and Crocodiles- again- no FIAR title- so I'm winging it again. And the week after that Giraffes....I feel a zoo trip coming on!

2 comments:

Melinda said...

Throwing Marshmellows..... hee..hee..hee... Those are cute ideas. I will love to see this, and get ideas for my littles.
BTW thanks for the link to the other site. There was a fun states map, the kids and I did. Sad to say, mom got a C!!! States have never been my strong point!

Anonymous said...

What a fun week! I'll have to look for If Jesus Came to My House.