Monday, January 19, 2009

A mother's purpose....

Yesterday at church I was taught a powerful lesson. It's amazing how the plain and simple truths sometimes hit you over the head. I serve in the Primary- (like Sunday school for children ages 3-11) The children were learning a new song, called The Family is of God click to listen to it- it's a BEAUTIFUL song. Doodle and his friend K were singing at the top of their lungs- as loud as can be- so that the sing-o-meter (chart with an arrow that moves from "dead" to super singers" depending on how well the children sing) could read "super singers"

But the words had a powerful impact- as my 6 yr old sang "God gave us families to help us become what He wants us to be—This is how He shares His love, for the fam’ly is of God." Yes indeed we do have families to help us become what he wants us to be. Not just for children to become what he wants them to be- but for us parents as well. My children teach me lessons all the time- and today I was humbled enough to listen to the lesson they were teaching through music.

They were working on the 3rd verse- and it's about mothers- "A mother’s purpose is to care, prepare,To nurture and to strengthen all her children.She teaches children to obey, to pray,To love and serve in the fam’ly."

As the music leader had the key words on strips on the board to help the kids learn the words- the Lord whispered to me- yes- this is indeed your calling- I want you to care for your children, I want you to prepare them- prepare them to serve missions, prepare them to be husbands and fathers and future leaders in the church. I want you to nurture your children- love them, play with them, spend time with them. Often I get stuck in the rut of "let's get the school work done- then Go off to play by yourself. I forget that the Lord wants me to homeschool so that I can spend time with my kids, and nurture them. He wants me to strengthen my children so they can withstand the many temptations of the world. He wants me to teach them to obey and do what's right. To Pray to our Father in Heaven. And to teach them about Love and Service- not just serving strangers or neighbors- but most importantly about serving IN the family.

3 comments:

Melinda said...

Well said Andrea. I know at times I get in such a wirlwind of life, sometimes I foget to slow down and listen to my children, learn from my childern and with my children! Thanks for sharing, this will bless so many others too.

Jessica Holder said...

That's beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

J and Ris said...

I agree completely! We've been learning that song this month too and everytime we sing it I don't feel so overwhelmed with having 5 kids. It's what we chose to do! Thanks for putting all of what I've felt into words!