Friday, December 19, 2008

Christmas Traditions- The Nativity Set

As we celebrate Christmas- I feel it's vital to teach children while they are young what Christmas is all about, and why we celebrate. One way've found to do this- is that each child has their own Nativity Set. Not long after we were married my parents bought me This Nativity Set- It's displayed on top of the piano where kids can see it- but not touch! (One bonus to having their own sets is they are content to leave mine alone!)
The first year we opened our Christmas Box Bug received a Piece of his Nativity set in many of the doors. His is displayed on a log table in the living room.Last Christmas we Doodle got pieces of his Nativity set in the Christmas Box. His is displayed on the Chess table in the living room. He's so funny- Doodle gets so upset that "someone" has been moving his pieces around- and he is constantly rearranging them to how he wants.
And here's Roo's Set (a simple one we found at the Thrift store- and maybe in a few years we'll get him a nicer one and put the pieces in the Christmas box for him) Roo loves playing with his pieces. One day as Joseph was "flying" around the room, Roo accidently dropped him, and the Head fell off. Luckily- "Dad can fix anything" So he has a repaired head- and there wasn't an angel in the set when we bought it from DI- so it's angelless- but still the same- he loves it. I've always wanted a "Little People" Nativity Set But we've never bought one yet- and now my boys seem to be outgrowing Little People- darn! I love those cute little guys!
This year- I found a FUN craft activity for a Gingerbread Nativity. Yesterday we went to Ben's Aunt's house, and made some. We used Gumdrops for the people's bodies- a snickers bar and some tootsie rolls for the donkey- marshmallows and licorice for the sheep. Here's Bug "building" the sheep
And Doodle putting the finishing touches on an Angel

6 comments:

Eric and Natalie said...

THAT IS A CUTE IDEA! how fun, I also like the little people nativity...it cute...they have a nativity at either deseret book or the distribution center for like 5 dollars and its way cute!...

Becky said...

I love that, I need to make time to do that with my kids.

JeN said...

What a great tradition and so neat for your kids to have their very own nativity.. I love the craft one you did too.. Maybe I will do that with my kids over break... Thanks for sharing!!

J and Ris said...

What a creative mom you are! Great job!!!

Shelley Hansen said...

Looks like a lot of FUN!
Merry Christmas to the Dean Family!

julie said...

What is the brand or company name for Doodle's nativity? I'm trying to find a replacement figure and have no idea where to look. If you wouldn't mind telling me and or where you got it it could be a big help. I only received a few of the figures and no box. My email is crumrjc at hotmail.com thank you!