Thursday, July 29, 2010

Planning for the new school year- 6th grade

I am a planner- I LOVE to plan ;) Maybe I have an obsession with planning. I can't plan my whole school year at once- because then I have to constantly re-plan- lol- but I've begun planning for next school year- we go year-round- and usually take July and December off, along with a couple of weeks in the spring, and a couple of weeks in the fall. So we're gearing up for next year soon. Bug will be in 6th grade, Doodle- 2nd grade and Roo will be starting Kindergarten. Here's what we're planning for Bug's 6th grade year-

Bug will be using the following
Language Arts- Growing with Grammar, Online Spelling game- Big IQ Kids, 6-trait writing, I think a few Literature Units from this site, lots of reading great books, and various reports as assigned.
History- Story of the World with notebooking pages from this site-
Science- finish up Apologia Zoology 1, with notebook/journal, (we are LOVING this!) and begin Zoology 2. He will also join in with Doodle and Roo when they do Astronomy because he just couldn't decide whether he wanted to do Astronomy or Zoo2. Math- Pam will be teaching Math again next year- Bug is about halfway through the Pre-Algebra book- and will be using these online resources that go right along with his book. Merit Badges- Bug will also work on Boy Scout Merit Badges as part of school- there's SOO much good stuff to learn in those.

Art- hopefully we can find a better time to fit this into our schedule better- but Ben will teach art. :D (delegate!)

Music- If we can get it to work like I want- Bug will take Band at the local intermediate school, and he'll also continue Piano lessons.

PE- Karate, Swimming- using our family pass, and he will probably play Basketball in the winter.
Extras- Field trips with our wonderful homeschool group, PE days, Book club- I'm excited about this year's club- another family will be doing the Famous Americans books- and I'm going to do a group with older boys- more info to come!

No comments: