Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Oregon Trail Study

We are doing a fun Oregon Trail study this month. We will be following along with the wagon train on Westward Ho. We started yesterday with an introduction to the trail- and started playing a computer game of Oregon Trail I remember that I loved playing the Oregon trail computer game when I was little- and this version is a lot cooler than that one! You can start your journey in a few different cities- Independence- like the original trail, OR Nauvoo, IL, like the Mormon pioneers. And there's a few different destinations as well, Oregon City, or Salt Lake City. We did just the normal start in Indpendence and end in Oregon City, but I'm looking forward to playing this game lots this month with the boys and trying some of the other versions.

Here are a few books we're using for the first leg of our journey. Apples to Oregon (a tall tale- and Roo loves it!) The My America book is one I'm assigning Doodle to read this month. And the Seven Alone I found at DI- then I found a movie based on the book on Netfix that we'll be watching.I also have this neat Oregon Trail map that we'll be tracking our journey on.

Yesterday the boys each made a covered wagon out of craft sticks- (look- I found another use for the 1000's I have. ;)) I found the idea on this website and each of the boys made their own. Here's Doodle with his wagon.Roo and Mom's wagonBug had to make one too- even if he's not joining us in the Oregon trail studies (he's on a Jules Vern kick lately)We are looking forward to some fun things with this unit!

OH!! And Tuesday will be our 100th day of school party- so watch for some 100's fun.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love those wagons!! :-)

Rachel said...

I LOVED the Oregon Trail game in elementary school! I had forgotten all about it!

Melinda said...

we loved apples to apples, that is the funnest book. I remember playing the oregon trail on my friends computer, it was one we enjoyed for hours and hours. Looks like fun, can't wait to see what you plan! You do so great with unit studies.