Thursday, June 4, 2009

Some weeks are more "educational" than others

I think this is one of the "others" lol- After fishing at the cabin Roo was very interested in fish- and "how can fish hear?" so I threw together a study on fish- we've been reading the book Max the Minnow (a book I'm sure Bug got when he was little because I definately have it memorized!) and learned about the letter M for minnow.
Of course reading about fish we HAD to have fish cracker math on Monday at math class- he counted the crackers and laid them out in groups of 10. Then of course- the best part about fish cracker math is subtracting them- so we told him how many to take away. Then to work on recognizing numbers- I pulled out some number tiles, and he had to subtract that many fish.

Any chance we get to pull out the ABC fishing game is always great- Roo pulls this one out at least once a week- it's just a simple homemade game- but it's a funner way to learn things than flashcards. The "fish" are metal juice can lids. The container is a bread crumbs container- and the fishing pole- a unsharpened pencil with yard tied to it- and a magnet tied to the other end of the string.

The story has rhyming in it- so we talked about rhyming words and did a rhyming file folder game, I think he's starting to catch on to rhyming.
We did get some art in- cut paper plates in the shape of fish- then used watercolors to paint them. I think they turned out way cute.
He played a few computer games online- Roo liked this simple computer game- http://www.candlelightstories.com/games/undersea-abc/ you help a lobster find the right letters. He also played a few of the games at PBSkids on Between the Lions page- This one- Monkey Match is a rhyming one, and Roo thought ABCD Watermelon was hilarious.

Today- he watched Finding Nemo. OK- so I'm not sure I can call that educational at all......but then I think back to my High School Spanish class- and I'm certain "Dulcinea" and Monopoly on Spanish gameboards might not have been all that educational either.

5 comments:

Melinda said...

I love the ABC fish game. I could do alot with that. I think I will steal that idea.

Andrea said...

Oh yup! we have fishing for colors, shapes, and sight words, you could even do math facts on them.

J and Ris said...

I love to see all of the things you do with your kiddos! I need to learn half the things you do and my kids would think I was pretty impressive!

Rachel said...

Seriously in HS Spanish I think it is the same in every school, I think they are always trying to find something to do.

Diana said...

You cracked me up - I seriously think they are all educational:) When is your next trip to the library? I think we should play a trip to the park and library sometime this summer.